Our Top Pick
Occasionally, vehicles get stuck in muddy or snowy terrain and cannot be towed out without a winch. A powerful motor and strong rope make this winch cable pull heavy vehicles. Heavy-duty off-roaders can’t go without it. It is also useful for other activities like snow plowing, etc.
We’ve listed five of the best winch for side by side in this article. Since there is such a wide range of options, making a solid choice can be challenging. However, our buyer’s guide and list of the best winch for side by side, their features, specs, and pros and cons have made the task easier. Let’s start.
Before Purchasing Side By Side Winch Kept in Mind These Step:-
Consider the following factors when choosing the best winch for side by side. Performance is a major factor, especially when stuck in a strange place. Consider the following:
- Winch Size: Winches’ sizes can be found in the specifications or their names. A side by side winch’s size greatly depends on your vehicle’s type and model. A 6000lb winch will handle a huge truck or superATV. In general, a 3500 lb or 4500 lb utv winch is ideal for most vehicles.
- Installation accessories: Ensure that the winch you are buying comes with all the necessary mounting items, such as a mounting plate, fitting bolts, etc., to avoid additional purchases.
- Rope types: Winches have two types of rope; synthetic and steel cable. When operating winches, synthetic cables are preferred to prevent unnecessary injuries and cuts to the hand. Additionally, it is lighter and more flexible than a steel cable winch.
- Utilization: On top of all that, it is imperative to consider the reason behind your need for a winch. You can also use the winches for other purposes, such as plowing heavy snow or towing a vehicle that has fallen over.
Winch costs: The cost of side by side winches varies depending on their pulling power. As a result, choosing the right price/pulling power balance matters because spending money on something you don’t need is wasteful.
Best Winch For Side by Side – Detailed Reviewed
1. AC-DK 4500 lb Winch Steel Wire Electric ATV Winch Kit – Reviewed
AC-DK 4500 lb winch is equipped with a 1.1Kw and 1.3Hp permanent magnet DC of motor capable of working at 12V; this combination makes this winch a high-performing machine. Moreover, the AC-DK winch comes with a full complement of accessories, such as a winch mounting plate, aluminum fairlead, clevis hook, fitting bolts, and finally, the user manual to give you the utmost convenience in terms of installation and further operation of the winch. Finally, the winch’s safety system is well-equipped with a dynamic brake system. On the other hand, its primary function is to pull.
My experience was quite positive while operating this AC-DK 4500 lbs winch. I was able to get very good performance off-road irrespective of the vehicle I used. While testing it, I have observed this UTV winch to be highly compatible with superATV, UTV, truck, and jeep. Additionally, the winch installs quite easily. I just had to connect the power cord to the electric source, and it did the work. In my opinion, the wireless remote is my favorite feature since it allows me to operate the winch from a fair distance without being at risk. Overall, the winch was relatively easy to use, delivering reliable performance.
- Synthetic rope: The 15M UTV winch is extremely lightweight and flexible. On the contrary of its weight, it can handle high loads with great strength. Moreover, it is non-corrosive and does not establish burrs like steel cables.
- Free spooling clutch: The highly functional free spooling clutch allows easy drum rotation by manually dissociating it from the planetary gear train.
- Lifetime technical support: The AC-DK winch comes with lifetime technical support and a limited warranty of 2 years. This warranty ensures that the manufacturers will cooperate with you when facing any technical issue during the mentioned period.
Reasons to Buy
Reasons to Avoid
2. XPV AUTO 3000 lb 12V DC Electric Winch Waterproof Winch – Reviewed
The XPV 3000 lb winch comes with a 1.0Kw/1.3Hp permanent magnet motor made of copper wire, making the machine powerful and highly efficient. Moreover, the maximum efficiency of the XPV winch is ensured with its precise three staged planetary gear, which facilitates deceleration, reverse movement, and a high-speed ratio. Above all, the winch’s dynamic braking system ensures that no accidents occur while towing.
In my case, I used this XPV 3000 lb winch for a long time, and it was quite useful. Primarily, the winch installation was not complicated for me with its color-coded terminals. Aside from that, this is the best UTV winch with wireless remote, which made it possible for me to utilize it on restricted terrains because of its capability to work from a very long distance. Additionally, the winch’s steel wire is solid to handle heavy loads without sliding. Still, a synthetic rope can do better, in my opinion.
- Ip67 rated waterproofing: The Ip67 rated waterproof and dustproof motor prevents the dysfunction of the winch in case of its interaction with mud or water.
- One-year warranty: In case of any technical issue in the winch or its relevant parts, the manufacturers guarantee to solve the problem with one year warranty.
- Heavy-duty mounting plate: The mounting plate allows easy winch installation on vehicles like superATVs, UTVs, jeeps, etc.
Reasons to Buy
Reasons to Avoid
3. STEGODON 3000 lb. Load Capacity Electric Winch – Reviewed
The Stegodon 3000 lb winch has its hardware sprayed with black frosted paint, ensuring corrosion-resistant. It also increases the thermal capacity of the motor, so it does not heat up very quickly. Additionally, the winch has a diamond-shaped structure which improves performance for a more extended period by dissipating the gearbox’s heat. Moreover, the winch’s 3 staged planetary gear is powerful enough to bear heavy movements with much ease. Last but not least, the wireless remote allows the winch to be operated from a great distance, thus ensuring user safety.
Overall, I found the Stegodon new winch a better upgrade to the old version. I achieved maximum performance and speed ratio with the winch under challenging conditions. Moreover, the motor did not heat up even when I used the machine for a long time. I found the range of the wireless remote quite impressive, i.e., 325ft; the remote worked perfectly within this range without a bit of glitch. Plus, the winch’s components clutch and gear had robust connectivity between them, which did not cause any harm or damage to the clutch even when I used the winch to load heavy items.
- Steel shell: The entire winch is made of high-quality stainless steel; this material is rust-proof and protects the machinery from damage at all costs.
- Solenoid: The insulated solenoid of 3000 lb winch prevents overheating of the motor, which keeps the device’s capstan and motor safe from burning.
- Technical support: The winch is backed by its manufacturers for one year in case of any machinery issue. Moreover, they also offer lifetime technical support and are highly responsive in case of any such query.
Reasons to Buy
Reasons to Avoid
4. ZEAK 2500-lb. ATV Winch Kit – Reviewed
The Zeak 2500 lb superATV, UTV, and side by side winch have its outdoor steel structure galvanized to prevent the winch from getting rusted or corrosive. Moreover, the ZEAK winch is equipped with a durable permanent magnet of 1.1 horsepower, which is highly flexible for many bumper types. Further, the waterproof and dustproof covering of the entire machinery keeps the motor safe from damage when it rains or during its operation in dusty areas.
I put this Zeak 2500 lb power winch on several Powersports vehicles during the testing process. It managed to give a powerful and efficient performance in each case. Moreover, its automatic circuit break feature saved me from a big electrical mishappening. However, I think the winch would be much better if it came with a wireless remote instead of a corded one.
- Handlebar: The handlebar is quite convenient when you are working off-road to put the corded remote of the winch.
- Steel cable: The steel cable is strong and can handle heavy loads up to 2000 lb+ very conveniently without breaking or causing any other damage to the rope. The cable also prevents accidental sliding of load when operating.
- Warranty: This winch product by Zeak comes with a one-year warranty. Moreover, their customer support services are highly active and will be of great help if you face any technical query.
Reasons to Buy
Reasons to Avoid
5. WARN 103253 VR EVO 10-S Electric 12V DC Winch – Reviewed
The Warn UTV winch, with a pulling power of 10,000 lb on average, features a powerful series wound motor that provides outstanding performance even under high load. Moreover, the Warn UTV winch is entirely coated with IP68 rated waterproof material. It makes it highly functional during rainy seasons and in muddy areas. Above all, the wide gear ratio of 218:1 ensures high speed and better machine acceleration. Finally, the Warn winch’s rated line pull capacity of 10,000 makes it highly suitable for trucks, jeeps, and SUVs.
The Warn UTV winch worked well for me, and it was quite a smooth process to operate it even when the load was relatively heavy. Moreover, the spring braking system was robust enough for my safety simultaneously. To add on, the one feature that impressed me is it’s two in one remote system. I operated the winch even on restricted and rugged terrains with the cordless remote, and it was one smooth experience. Finally, the free spooling clutch allowed me to easily rotate the motor to fit it better inside the bumper. For me, it is the best UTV winch for plowing.
- Albright contactor: The instilled Albright contactor not only ensures highly reliable performance of the winch but is also boxed within a control pack hence allowing its relocation in case of low profile installations.
- Remote system: The Warn 10,000 lb winch comes with a two in one remote system where you get both a wired and wireless remote.
- Warranty: Warn’s best side by side winch comes with a limited lifetime warranty for any electrical nuisance and that of 7 years for any glitch in the winch’s technical parts.
Reasons to Buy
Reasons to Avoid
In this article, you can learn everything you need to know about the five best winch for side by side. However, these products are narrowed down to 2 of the top choices based on their ratings and prices for further ease.
- The Warn 10,000 lb winch is the best UTV winch 2022 with high ratings on a leading selling site.
- On the other hand, the AC-DK 4500 lb winch is relatively cost-effective. It provides excellent value for the paid money with its robust structure and functioning.
Finally, we hope that this comprehensive review of the top side by side winch will enable you to make the right selection.
1. Which size is perfect for choosing the best winch for a side-by-side vehicle?
There is a general thumb rule which helps determine the perfect winch size depending on the model and type of your side-by-side vehicle. To implicate the formula, you will first have to know about the machine’s weight and then finally multiply it by 1.5 to get a better idea of the pulling power your winch should necessarily have.
2. What are some precautions to follow when operating a winch?
Although it is pretty simple to operate a winch, there are still some important factors to keep in mind, especially for personal safety. These are:
- Never straddle or play with the winch line.
- Never operate the winch by standing between the vehicle and the winch’s anchor point.
- Any extra person who has nothing to do with the winch or operation should stay away from the device or cable.
- Ideally, they grab a place somewhere behind the vehicle, tree, or large rock.
3. How can I double the capacity of my winch?
There are three effective ways to double any winch’s capacity and pull power. These are:
- Try to make use of a snatch block
- Use such an anchor that ensures pulling through the direct line and the center of the rollers.
- Avoid using maximum speed; half of it would do fine