Our Top Pick
WARN 101040 VRX
Champion Power Equipment
SuperATV 4500 lb
Using a winch is necessary for driving a UTV on rough terrain. However, this can prove to be lifesaving in case you get stuck in a deserted area. Therefore, to save your time and effort, it is better to take precautions beforehand.
Above all, the market is saturated with different brands of winches, each with its specifications. However, your UTV’s size and model should be considered when choosing the right winch. Therefore, size is the most important factor. Weighing 4000 lbs and higher is an ideal condition. We have discussed the best 4500 lb UTV winches in this article.
Overall, this article reviews the 5 best UTV winches in 2022 based on real user experiences, detailed features, specifications, and pros & cons. After that, we will determine which winch offers excellent value for money with its exclusive features.
Best 4500LB Winch Buyers Guide:
If this is your first time purchasing a UTV winch, you should consider the following factors:
- Capacity: One of the most important features to consider is the winch’s line pull rating. It combines the drum’s strength and the winch’s mechanical power. With this in mind, a winch with the best capacity must have a rating of around GVWR x 1.5.
- UTV Winches Types: You will find two kinds of UTV winches in the market; electrical and hydraulic. The vehicle’s battery powers the former while the latter uses a steering pump to function in contrast. Nevertheless, it’s better to go for an electrical one as their installation is more straightforward and allows safe operations through its remote control feature likewise.
- Rope: The winch’s ropes are also of two categories; steel cable and synthetic. The latter is preferred for its flexibility, lightweight, and easier handling. Although it is more expensive than a steel cable, the positive side eventually provides excellent value for money.
- Motors: The electrical winches come in two different engines: permanent magnet motors and series-wound motors. The permanent magnet motor is perfect for heavy-duty work, while the latter has a maximum light to medium working intensity performance. However, suppose you work in icy areas in particular. In that case, the winch with the series motor should be purchased as permanent magnet motors can wear out and lose power in extreme conditions.
- Gearboxes: A third gear option is commonly used among the three gear options of spun, worm, and planetary gear. It specifically has low weight and has a compact structure. The worn gears are now almost obsolete. On the other hand, the spun gears’ only one variant is currently available in the market.
- Remote control: UTV winches with remote control should be your first preference. Moreover, it will be perfect if it is a wireless one.
- Mounting options: The three popular mounting systems, namely are bumper, multi-mount, and winch bumper. The first option is significantly the best for its easy application and excellent diversity.
- Cable length: On the whole, the ideal length of the winch’s cable should be average, neither too short nor too long.
- Waterproof sealing: A winch has to go from several wears and tears; hence you should especially prefer a rated waterproof motor house
Best 4500 lb UTV Winch – Detailed Reviewed
1. Superwinch 1145230 Terra 45 – Reviewed
Superwinch Terra 45 is, remarkably, a dynamic hauling and lifting winch. This low amp winch comes with synthetic rope and a drum specifically designed to fit the string. Likewise, a free spooling clutch is also present to allow free rotation of the drum. Additionally, a waterproof solenoid and a protected circuit breaker make this winch more functional.
In addition to its impressive safety features, including efficient mechanical hold of load and simultaneously a powerful brake system to deal with any accidental incident. Similarly, this single-line hawse pull winch also contains a wide planetary steel gear hooked with a strong latch. Finally, the handheld remote winch has a limited lifetime warranty for any manufacturing defect.
Superwinch Terra 45 exceeded my expectations due to its ergonomic cam action control. Moreover, the automated load-holding brake system ensured utmost security during operation. Furthermore, I found the winch’s 55′ rugged steel cable along with a heavy-duty 4-way roller fairlead quite extended and vigorous in the recovery of UTV/ATVs. To add on, I was quite impressed by the wide gear for its capability of effective load management. As a result, I could discern the end of the winch’s motor for fitting in closer spaces when required. Finally, I found this Superwinch’s Terra series product the most cost-effective winch for UTVs.
- Universal bolt mounting pattern: The fit-for-all bolt mounting feature of Terra 45 will adjust with your ATV/UTV irrespective of its model. However, it requires a suitable winch mounting kit which surely comes complimentary with ATV/UTV.
- Synthetic rope: AmSteel’s synthetic rope rating of 7,700 and a heavy-duty and durable latch hook ensure overall free spooling. Additionally, a carved anodized single hawse pull made of aluminum enhances the process undoubtedly.
- Wide gears: The Terra 45 winch comes with great wide and strong gears that ensure the more extended durability of the product. Moreover, the gearbox is loaded with a vast drum made of steel.
- Steel drums: The drum is made of steel to avoid abuse of synthetic rope which is very common with aluminum drums. It is suitable for both steel cable and synthetic rope winches.
- Rotating motors: The efficient design of the winch’s engine allows it to be turned quickly. This feature facilitates the fitting of the device in narrow spaces.
- Powerful motor: The functional part of this winch, the engine, has high-quality copper windings with sealed ends. This quality is responsible for this UTV winch’s increased power, overheat resistivity, and better functionality.
Reasons to Buy
Reasons to Avoid
Moreover, the use of authentic metallic material makes the Powersports winch highly corrosion-resistant, eventually leading to its long life. Similarly, the IP68 rated waterproof covering is enough to keep the motor secure and safe. Finally, the winch’s gear chain of three planetary phases adjusts its performance efficiently.
WARN 4500 lb winch is top-of-the-line, providing excellent performance and value. The user-friendly clutch handle made the winch handling very convenient for me during operation. Additionally, the winch was very lightweight; hence, I could carry it around easily. I had tested this 45-S WARN winch in the harshest of conditions and was satisfied with its performance. Lastly, this handlebar winch with a mounted switch offers useful features and great value at a competitive price.
- Corrosion-resistant: The WARN winch is designed with the most refined metal and the finishing of black powder, making the device resist corrosive marks. This feature allows long-term use of this model without compromising its functionality.
- Waterproof cover: The waterproof sealing allows convenient use of the winch irrespective of weather. Moreover, this attribute is also essential for instances when UTV gets stuck in any wet area.
- Ergonomic clutch design: The Powersports winch’s easy-to-handle clutch eases the workload and allows secured performance.
- Planetary gear train: The composition of three staged planetary gear trains results in low noise, high efficiency, and impressive functionality of the device’s motor. The feature allows handling of higher load with convenience.
- Limited lifetime warranty: The WARN UTV winch comes along with a limited lifetime warranty for its mechanical parts. Additionally, the manufacturers offer three years warranty for any electrical nuisance.
- Additional features: Additional features of this VRX winch also include hawse fairlead fully compatible with synthetic rope, a zinc-plated hook, a control switch mounted with a handlebar, and finally, a wired remote control. The combination of all these features results in a remarkable performance of the winch.
Reasons to Buy
Reasons to Avoid
3. MotoAlliance VIPER Elite – Reviewed
MotoAlliance Viper winch with a pulling capacity of 4500lb can handle vehicles with an average weight of 3000 lbs. The 1.8 hp permanent magnet motor produces high acceleration and outstanding performance. Moreover, the winch comes with a handlebar-mounted rocker switch and an extended cord to facilitate remote operation.
Additionally, the lightweight synthetic rope of AmSteel blue enhances the flexibility of use and is safe to operate. Also, the wireless remote control makes operation from far away safe.
The functionality of this winch is pretty impressive, and it is priced reasonably. The free hardware installation and simple setup procedure made things easier for me. In my opinion, the additional cordless remote was the best item as I could operate the winch while maintaining a safe distance. Overall, I am quite satisfied with the design and functioning capabilities of MotoAlliance viper elite winch.
- Wireless remote: This robust winch’s first and significant wireless remote feature. It allows remote operation, but its wireless units are very well established. In addition, it ensures that no interruptions occur due to other wireless devices.
- Handheld switch: A compatible handheld switch is straightforward to administer and easily fits in your pocket.
- Automated functioning: This winch by MotoAlliance gets automatically powered off when done; it conserves battery life to great extents.
- Weatherproof covering: The IP67 approved coating of the motor ensures that weather uncertainty has no adverse effect on the device’s functioning. You can use the winch conveniently in watery environments.
- Long-Term Service Plan: The viper elite winch comes along with an extended service plan where all maintenance and repairs are dealt with for free by the company.
- Samthane coated rope: The highly durable synthetic AmSteel-Blue rope is coated with Samthane to make it even more potent and protected from abuse.
- High compatibility: The winch has diversified compatibilities as it works best for many popular brands of vehicles like Yamaha, Polaris, Can-am, Honda, Suzuki, etc.
Reasons to Buy
Reasons to Avoid
4. Champion Power Equipment-14560 4500-lb – Reviewed
The Champion Power Equipment winch is a best-seller winch for its innovative design and excellent performance. This power winch comes with a wireless remote. The remote allows the operation of the device from anywhere under a radius of 50 feet.
Although the winch is very light in weight, you can not deny its high power output. The heavy-duty clevis hook and a nifty cord ensure excellent safety in accidental instances. Additionally, this wireless winch kit can easily be rotated when required, facilitated by its free spooling clutch.
This winch by Champion Power Equipment seems pretty promising to me. Firstly, the clear and crisp instructions in the manual were easy to follow, and I was able to install the device very conveniently. Secondly, the wireless remote allowed me to operate the winch even far away; I did not face any glitches. Overall, it was a hassle-free working experience, and the winch’s consistent performance and enhanced reliability won me over.
- Portable switch: The mini-sized rocker-mounted switch is portable and allows enhanced control of the winch’s motion.
- Roller fairlead: The feature of Champion Power’s winch enhances secured use alongside a trouble-free pulling capability.
- Galvanized cable: The galvanized covering of cable protects it from wearing out during operation in any carking territory.
- Efficient DC motor: The 1.6 hp motor produces impressive line speed numbers. It is 4.6 feet per minute with a full load while unloaded; it revolves around 12.8 feet per minute.
- All-in-one package: The winch is an extensive package of features to make the lives of off-roaders easy. A wireless remote facilitates the aim with an antenna, a small rocker switch with the handlebar, and a wiring kit accompanied by a contractor.
- Automated power-off: This power winch is undoubtedly efficient and gets switched off easily when not in use to preserve the vehicle’s battery.
Reasons to Buy
Reasons to Avoid
5. SuperATV 4500 lb Winch – Reviewed
SuperATV 4500 lb winch allows effective pulling of UTV with a weight of up to 3000 lbs. Moreover, the pulling activity is enhanced with synthetic rope in this black ops winch. This ATV winch comes with a wireless remote so that you can control it from 50 feet away. The rocker switch of the SuperATV is versatile for it can be mounted on both, a handlebar or dash. Furthermore, the 1.3 hp motor ensures the high functioning of the winch.
It was an average experience using the Super ATV winch. It operated perfectly well. Moreover, although it seemed lightweight, the synthetic rope was equally vital to pull on my testing weight of 2800 lbs. Furthermore, I was able to operate the winch from a distance of 50 feet radius.
By using the remote, I was less likely to sustain an injury while using the winch. However, the winch has an included mounting plate. Still, it was not suitable for my UTV’s bumper, and I had to purchase a machine-specific plate for mounting the winch. Overall, the functioning and structure are dynamic. Still, it would have been better with a mounting plate to fit many bumpers.
- Unbreakable rope: The use of synthetic yarn in this ATV winch ensures that high loads are pulled conveniently without rope fraying.
- Waterproof sealing: Weatherproofing is one of the few crucial things in winch buyers’ guide. SuperATV’s black ops winch is composed of a watertight seal and housing to prevent wear and tears caused by working water dominant area or in case of rain.
- Rocker switch: The versatile rocker switch of this winch is another appreciated characteristic. Its diverse structure allows easy mounting on a handlebar or dash.
- Cordless remote: The wireless remote feature of the winch makes it one powerful choice. It ensures the handler’s safety to operate the device safely.
- Mechanical gear: The winch comes with an automatic gear of ratio 166:1, which makes the winch function smooth. Besides, the free spooling clutch allows unrestricted rotation of the winch as required.
Reasons to Buy
Reasons to Avoid
Overall, all of the key features of the top 5 best 4500 lb utv winches have been covered in this article with the intent of simplifying your decision-making. To further expedite the process, I have narrowed the list of 5 winches down to two of the most recommended options. These are the reasons for choosing them.
- WARN VRX S-45 winch is the best 4500 lb UTV winch with a rating of 4.8/5. It is capable of handling high loads and is highly secure to operate.
- Champion power equipment wireless winch is the most cost-effective winch. Additionally, it comes with a wireless remote and enhanced line speed values.
As a result, to make an appropriate decision to buy a winch, you can consult our buyer’s guide to gain more insight.
1. What is the first thing to look for when buying a UTV winch?
The first and foremost thing to look out for when buying a winch has to be its weight. Since the UTV has a much higher weight rating, a winch with a higher weight rating is preferred. An ideal range is 4000 lbs or even higher, depending on the model and size of your vehicle.
2. How do I decide which winch size would be perfect for my vehicle?
In general, multiplying your UTV’s weight by 1.5 is an easy way to determine how much pulling power your winch should have.
3. How long does it take to install a winch on UTV?
The correct mounting kit and complete instruction manual is an easy procedure and gets done in mere 2 hours. A person with primary winch installing experience can do it in just half an hour.